Thursday, February 15, 2007

#15 - Furry Poser

I'm sitting here trying to think of a clever way to describe the following picture, and how I came about it. But I can't really so I should just state it simply.

I've had a squirrel around my house for some time. He's quite visible, and loves how my trees and house is arranged. He can go from the street to the the backyard neighbor's yard without touching the ground. On most days I can hear him jumping to and from my roof, sometimes missing and falling onto the metal awning over my porch. What a racket!

When it snowed, this last time, I've seen him in my yard digging in the snow for food. And he's been pretty intent, and no very afraid of us to run off like most squirrels do. So I took out my camera and tried to get a picture of him. With my camera, I couldn't get close enough zoom to get a good shot of him. So I kept getting closer and closer, waiting for him to run, and he didn't. Eventually I got too close for his comfort of about 10 feet and he ran up the tree.

But he was very interested in the flashing of my camera, or at me, or was pissed that I was interrupting his hunting & gathering session. He climbed out on a branch that was over my head by about two feet and sat there, talking to me. He was chirping and clicking up a storm, trying to get a better look at me. I kept taking photos. It was like he was posing almost. I choose to add this one for today's entry. I'll add the others to my Flickr 365 spillover account later.


He eventually got tired of me and ran up onto my roof and off to his home. It's a good thing cause my fingers were getting too cold to take anymore pictures. You can see in the picture his path in the snow on my roof.

No comments: